Friday, September 18, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Being pregnant has made it extremely hard for me to be in the kitchen, the smells and some sights will send me running to the toilet. So I have been trying to make the things that I crave which is not always easy, cause when you have a pregnancy craving for a McDonald's hamburger, you gotta have a MACDONALD'S HAMBURGER no other hamburger will do!!! :) Mexican, Thai, and anything salt and vinegar are on my craving list ALL the time, unfortunately for my baking blog, sweets are not something I love right now :( So for now, I will post anything outta of the ordinary that I cook!
2 Tbls. flour
3 Tbls. oil
3 corn cobs
1 red pepper
1 lbs. chicken breast or tenders, diced, or cubed
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt & pepper
1 small zucchini, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
(you can find these in the mexican food aisle)
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chilies
3 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup heavy cream

Char corn and red pepper in broiler, or over a gas stove. Remove skin from pepper, and dice. Cut kernels off corn cobs, set both aside. In a soup pot, over medium/high heat add oil, and brown chicken for two minutes, then add poultry seasoning, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook chicken another two minutes, then add zucchini, onion, garlic and chipotle peppers. Cook another 2-3 minutes, then add in flour cook another 4-5 min. Add diced tomatoes with juice, 1/2 can of tomato sauce, chicken stock, and cream. Stir well and bring to a boil. Then add green chilies, red pepper, and corn. Bring to a boil again, reduce heat to low cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, avocado, Frito's, tortilla chips, ect...

*I forgot in the original post that I added about 3 Tbls of white sugar, you can leave this out. I just thought it needed a little sweet balance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment